- From the e-Activity, examine the effectiveness of the two (2) employment law that you deem to be the most influential. Support your response with two(2) current case involving the chosen law.
- From the e-Activity, select two (2) negative or adverse cases filed against any organization. Then, decide on a better method that the organization could have used to prevent the negative or adverse outcome. Explain the rationale for your described method.
What Is Comp-XM?
Comp-XM is familiar, yet different from your experience in Capstone or Foundation. You are the CEO. You
will be making decisions on your own; you will not be a member of a team. Like Capstone, Comp-XM uses a spreadsheet and a web interface.
There are two parts to Comp-XM: A four-round simulation and a series of web-based quizzes called Board Queries. Board Queries are questions posed by your Board of Directors. They are drawn from the unique results of your simulation. You could appear before the Board up to five times to answer their questions about your company. “Website Instructions” (below) discusses the mechanics.
Login to the website with the User ID and Password from your previous simulation. Select Comp-XM.
In the Getting Started area, view the brief introductory video in the Welcome section. Be sure to review the Sample Board Query in the About Board Queries section. Go through the remaining sections.
The Comp-XM Spreadsheet
In the Getting Set Up section, download the Comp-XM Spreadsheet to your computer (a web version of the spreadsheet is available from the Dashboard, see below).
- You will open the Comp-XM Spreadsheet as you did the Capstone or Foundation Spreadsheet;
- Enter the same User ID and Password you used to login to the website;
- The Comp-XM Spreadsheet requires an Internet connection–it retrieves your work from the website when it opens and sends your work to the website when you save decisions.
Module Leader: Dr. Leonidas Efthymiou
Task: Read the short case and answer all 4 questions
MMC: Money down the drain or failed HRM?
‘Modernising Medical Careers’ (MMC) is an online programme for postgraduate medical training introduced in the UK from 2005 onwards. IT was devised and implemented by a think tank at the central policy offices of the National Health Service (NHS). For many years there have been concerns about the UK medical workforce, in particular the postgraduate medical training system. The most prominent of these centred on the poor training and indifferent career prospects experienced by some doctors at Senior House Officer (SHO) level and by many of those in Staff Grade and Associate Specialist (SAS) posts (online at:http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmhealth/25/25i.pdf).
Therefore, the Modernising Medical Careers (MMC) programme of work was established in 2003 to address these difficulties. In this line, MMC was intended to ‘improve patient care by improving medical education with a transparent and efficient career path for doctors’.
More specifically, ‘Modernising Medical Careers’ is an online lob application system for junior doctors. Rather than writing to hospitals for their first job appointment, junior doctors fill in a website based questionnaire and application form. Also, completion of the questionnaire and application form gives a point score; and from this decisions are made anonymously by a centrally based HR and jobs offers system.
The system, however, has been dogged by criticism within and outside the medical profession. As it quickly became apparent that the database itself was not secure, this has led to controversy and allegations made by students that their applications had been tampered with or altered. There was no guarantee either of the integrity of the form completion process and in many cases, forms that had been fully filled in were incomplete when they were downloaded by prospective employers. Also, the application process has had technical problems and was criticised over the weighting and marking of the applications, with one London training school calling it “unfair and ineffective” in resigning from the process.
Also, the House of Commons Health Select Committee published a report into the Government’s handling of the Modernising Medical Careers (MMC) reforms on 8 May 2008. The report was highly critical of the way in which the reforms were managed, highlighting failings in leadership, governance and policy development. The inquiry exposed serious problems with the management of MMC reforms, and particularly the introduction of the Medical Training application Service (MTAS). The Committee criticised the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for a lack of leadership and the medical profession for the lack of a coherent voice. MPs also found co-ordination between the Department of Health (DH) and the Home Office ‘inadequate’ in handling attempts to restrict medical migration.
To the worst, as it was perceived sufficiently poorly within the medical profession, its implementation was ultimately boycotted by senior doctors around the UK.
Answer all 4 Questions
- 1) Search the MMC in the internet and provide a brief description of its HRM strategy and practices.(Weighting: 25%) (Wordage: 1000)
- 2) What factors and practices do you believe are important in explaining the failure of MMC from a Human Resource Management Perspective?(Weighting: 25%) (Wordage: 1000)
- 3) What HRM strategies would you recommend for this organization? Why have you chosen them?(Weighting: 25%) (Wordage: 1000)
- 4) What HRM policies and practices would you suggest towards improving the function and publicity of MMC?(Weighting: 25%) (Wordage: 1000)(Total Weighting: 100%) (Total Wordage: 1000)
For the Assignment, you will apply what you have learned concerning organizational structure and conduct research on Volkswagen (VW). You will respond to the three (3) questions listed below the Assignment instructions in an APA formatted 2–3 page paper .
If one were to chart the growth spurts of Volkswagen over the past three decades, the chart would look like a roller coaster. Plans were for former BMW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder to fix ailing VW when he came aboard in 2002. However, best-laid plans often go astray. VW’s share price is down almost 50% and profits fell by 36%. What is wrong at VW? First, VW has always been able to charge more for its cars because of quality, innovation, styling, and an implied lifetime guarantee. In recent years, however, consumers have decided that the company is going to have to come up with more value for the dollar if loyalty is to be retained. Second, sales in China’s booming market (VW was one of the first car makers on the scene in this giant economy) have plummeted and GM has driven VW from its number one ranking. Third, cost-cutting moves have not worked. Fourth, VW uncharacteristically has labor pains. The CEO has had little luck in reversing these problems because his consensus management techniques are having little impact on VW’s change-resistant bureaucracy. Over half of the company’s 100 managers are not used to making their own decisions. This spells even more trouble for the company in the year ahead.
Address the following questions in your 2—3 page essay adding an additional title and references page:
- Using a search engine of your own choosing, investigate Volkswagen’s performance over the past two years. Write a brief summary of their fortunes and misfortunes.
- Visit the Volkswagen Investor Relations Web site, then use the search box on the right and search for “organizational structure”. In particular be sure to look at the Corporate Governance Report. Alternately, you can perform an internet search for “Volkswagen organizational structure.” From information supplied, characterize the company’s existing structure.
- Based on what you have observed in “1” and “2” above; suggest a new organizational structure for the company. Cite any assumptions that you made when you developed your structure.
Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2013). Organizational behavior (15th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Please submit your minimum APA formatted and citation styled 2–3 pages of body text, and include an additional title and references page.
Directions for submitting your Assignment:
Before you submit your Assignment, you should save your work using the correct naming convention: Last_first Name_Homework_Unit #.
Make sure your Assignment is in Microsoft Word, doubled spaced and 12 pt. font in Times New Roman. Then, when you are ready, you may submit on the Dropbox page.
Write a research paper on the effects of organizational structure on high tech industries. The paper must be in APA v6 format. The “body” of the document (excluding title page, abstract, references, tables and figures) should be between 4-6 double spaced pages long. You must have at least 4 references, with no more than 2 of them being internet references. You may not use wikipedia or the textbook as a reference. Remember to include a lot of original content… as this is not an excercise in just “commenting on other people’s workDo you want a similar Paper? Click Here To Get It From Our Writing Experts At A Reasonable Price.
Imagine that you are the HR director for a multinational firm that has recently begun to assign workers to international posts. You are responsible for determining the staffing needs of foreign operations. You will also need to adopt a mentoring program for expatriates. As you do not have the resources to provide in-house training, you are considering the use of an external consulting firm to provide pre-departure training for employees.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Determine four to six (4-6) components that the pre-departure training will need to cover. Provide a rationale for the use of using the training components in question.
- Propose three (3) criteria that management will use to assess the performance of expatriates working abroad. Support your proposal with examples of the fundamental ways in which these performance requirements have improved performance.
- Recommend the recruiting and selection strategy that you believe your firm should use when offering international assignments. Provide a rationale for your recommendation.
- Compare and contrast two (2) staffing alternatives for foreign operations at your multinational firm. Select the staffing alternative that you believe to be the best fit for your scenario and provide a rationale for your selection.
- Analyze the importance of providing a high-quality mentoring system for international assignees. Provide one (1) example of a high-quality mentoring system for international assignees to support your analysis.
- Suggest the manner in which you plan to measure return on investment (ROI) for international assignments. Provide a rationale for your decision.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.