Assignment 1: Starting a Business Online
Starting a Business Online: Imagine that you own a small, local clothing store along the Jersey Shore boardwalk and decide that you want to engage in e-Commerce.
Write a 4-5 page paper on the following:
1. Identify the advantages and disadvantages of taking your small business online by performing a
SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis. Include 2-4 items in each
2. Because the Internet connects computers all over the world, any business that engages in e-
Commerce instantly becomes an international business. The key issues that any company faces
when it conducts international commerce include trust, culture, language, government, and
infrastructure. Explain how you would address each of these issues.
3. Businesses that operate on the Web must comply with the same laws and regulations that govern
the operations of all businesses, but they face 2 additional complicating factors as they try to
comply with the law. First, the Web extends a company’s reach beyond traditional boundaries.
Second, the Web increases the speed and efficiency of business communications. Explain how
you would overcome these complicating factors that come with e-Commerce in order to comply
with the law.
4. Law enforcement agencies have difficulty combating many types of online crime. Describe 2
online crimes prevalent in e-Commerce and what you would do to prevent these crimes.
Your assignment must:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Identify the basic elements of the technology infrastructure used to conduct electronic business.
• Explain the basic communications and network concepts used in electronic commerce and the
basic functioning of the Internet and the World Wide Web.
• Describe the critical legal and ethical issues related to electronic commerce.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in fundamentals of e-business.
• Write clearly and concisely about fundamentals of e-business using proper writing mechanics.